Gulbarga University was established in 1980 by an Act of Karnataka State. Its jurisdiction extends to the five districts of Gulbarga, Bidar, Raichur, Bellary and Koppal of Hyderabad Karnataka. Earlier it was a post-graduate centre of Karnatak University, Dharwad since 1970. The main campus is situated on a 860 acres of land, 6 kilo meters east of Gulbarga city. It has 38 post-graduate departments and 4 post-graduate centres located at Krishnadevarayanagar, Bellary, Raichur and Bidar. Another post-graduate centre at Basavakalyan is on the anvil. The University enrols about 3500 students every year for various post-graduate, M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes in various disciplines. There are about 160 faculty members and about 700 technical and non-technical supporting staff. There are 305 colleges affiliated to this University which enrol graduate/diploma courses in arts, fine arts, music, social sciences, science & technology, commerce, education and law.
The Logo Statement "Vidyeye Amrutha" translates as "Education is Nector" and conveys the spirit of Gulbarga University which is catering to the needs of Hyderabad - Karnataka region. The starting of this University comes to our people as "Nector". Hence this logo symbolises the endeavour of the University in its prime focus of imparting higher education for the development of this region.
Excellence in higher education, empowerment through knowledge, inclusive growth for socio-economic transformation and sustainable development.
- To equip students with relevant knowledge, competence, and creativity to face global challenges.
- To achieve innovations in teaching-learning, research and extension activities to realize national goals.
- To facilitate optimum use of human and natural resources for sustainable development.
- To promote participation of all the stakeholders in the development of the University and the region.
- To empower students through inclusive growth.
- To adopt and promote the knowledge output for human development.
- To create awareness of human rights, value system, culture, heritage and environment.